Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sleeping - or lack thereof

Lately nap time and bed time have become a huge chore. I don't know why. It never has been before. My little guy used to just get in bed and lay there until he fell asleep. Now it's get out of bed a gazillion times so mommy has to put him back in bed a gazillion times. Yes, a gazillion, and I'm not exaggerating. Much. Most of the time he will just come out of his room and say he wants to watch TV or have a drink but for the past several nights my little guy will tell me that he's scared. For the life of me I can't figure out what a two and a half year old would have to be scared of when he's never been scared of anything before - my fearless little monkey boy. So I take him back to bed and say all the right things, put all his favorite stuffed animals in bed so he's not alone and point out that he has his very own special light right next to his bed. Fortunately, that seems to be working. Now, at nap time, he comes out telling me he can't sleep. What's up with that? He gets up at the crack of dawn and goes hard all day and he tells me he can't sleep. Sometimes while yawning or after almost falling asleep in the car. Give me a break! I'm ready for a nap an hour after I wake up. Today, after about the third or fourth time I put him back to bed I could hear him playing with his toy computer. So I march back in there and tell him it's nap time, put the computer away, and he looks at me and says, in all seriousness, "I'm checking my e-mail!" I am not kidding.

On to the next trial - potty training. My little guy seems to be interested in going potty, asks to sit on the throne every once in a while, always wants to come in when I'm going potty, etc., so I finally broke down and bought a potty seat. I probably could have started this process several months ago but cleaning up "accidents" is not my idea of a good time. And that's why I bought the seat that sits right on top of the toilet because knowing me, if I bought the mini-toilet that sits on the floor, while emptying it I'd somehow trip and dump "everything" all down the front of me. Ick. On the bright side, it makes me giggle every time my little guy says "pee-pee" or "poo-poo". It's just so darn cute! While we're on the subject, when my little guy ... passes gas ... he'll say, "That's me?" and then we'll ask him, "Did you toot?" and he'll say right back, "No, I fart." LOL Mom, I know you're probably shaking your head but come on, it's a little bit funny. Anyhoo, for those of you out there who have potty trained little boys, please let me know what to do to make it less traumatic ... for me.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Obviously I don't have boys. But my suggestion is to have Darren do it. I mean, he has one of those, um, tools I assume. So he knows what to do. Lead by example. Make him do something. :)

Kim said...

I don't know how much you got from my blog, but Spence (turned 3 in August) was resisitng. But, over the summer, we noticed if he was naked, he'd take himself to the bathroom. If we were home he was naked and rarely had an accident.

The next step, getting him to 1)wear underwear and 2)use the toilet when wearing underwear was a different thing. But seriously, one day it just clicked and he was trained. Now I'm trying to get him to keep it in the potty--gross.

I'm sure that helps a lot! Ha Ha. My girls we're different--they both responded to the "take them to the potty every 20-30 minutes" approach with rewards.

ForexDude said...

I say just gird him up with a bunch of towels...

Connie said...

I don't know, kids are all so different. Alex was 2 1/2 when he decided to potty train ...seriously, he just decided one day that he was done wearing diapers and that was it. Him being so little, we didn't want him to be going in the bathroom by himself & playing around, so we locked the door and then would open it when he would tell us he needed to go. Well, he didn't like that, he just wanted to go when he needed to, so he would just find buckets to go pee in in his bedroom...hahaha. Nasty, yes, but it taught us that it was his way or the highway on that issue. He hasn't wet his bed once since, in the past 3 years. But that's just his little personality. Once he decides, there's no going back. Jonah will let you know when he's ready, and you really just have to wait until that "light" goes off in his little head. But just remember, that their little bladders don't fully develop until they're about 3 y/o, so don't worry if he doesn't get the hang of it right away. OHHH, I have a friend who once told me that her hubby can't go to the bathroom without being totally naked - that it's a habit that started when he was little because his mom stripped him down naked everytime to go potty...umm, so don't strip him down. hahaha. OH, and on another note, not to disappoint you, but Alex COMPLETELY stopped taking naps around 2 1/2 also. Seriously, he'll go about 15 hours non-stop, and then crash hard. It was a sad day when he stopped napping, but if you start skipping the nap and let him play hard all day long, I bet he'll stay in his bed when you put him down at night! :) Best of luck! (dang, that comment was ridiculously long, sorry!)

Holt Family said...

Something that helped for my boys was to have them sit on the toilet backwards. That way they could hold on to the back of the toilet, could see what they were peeing into and made an easy transition into standing because they were already facing the right direction. We also used M&M's and every time they went they got one, but they had to actually pee, not just sit on the toilet.

Also, I have done the putting cherrios into the toilet. Once you get him going then you put the cherrios to help him aim and not make such a mess.

Good luck!

As for naps, my kids are pretty much past nap times but I still make them have a quiet time in the afternoon. They have to stay in their room. Sometimes they sleep, sometimes they don't but it gives me a down time and quiet time for them. Maybe that would work for you. Or, for Pyper we put her in front of a movie and 9 times out of 10 she conks before the movie is over.

Good Luck!

Oh, as for monsters and being scared. We always told our kids that Dad was bigger and stronger then any monster and they were too scared to come anywhere near us. He even "scared" a few "monsters" from under the bed once or twice to make a point. The kids laughed and would point to different parts of the room where they thought the monsters were and he would scare them all out for them.

Good Luck!

Connie said...

OH yah, about the monsters...Alex has never been too concerned about them, but when they're on his mind, he'd pray that they'd stay away and his perfect faith cured him, knowing that if he asked, he would in fact receive. Or he'll ask for a special daddy blessing from Tony if he's scared. Sounds very "primary answer"-ish, but children come equiped with some serious faith. Teach Jonah to rely on prayer, it's one of the best things you can do for him :)

I've also heard of "monster spray", get a can of aerosol air freshener, get some paper & decorate the outside of it & then spray down his room each night. Monster spray always keeps the monsters out. ;) Good luck!